Massage For Whiplash And Neck Pain
Neck whiplash is caused from the impact of a car hitting another car. But can happen from other accidents like bike accidents or skiing accidents. Whiplash happens when the small muscles, tendons and ligaments in the neck are strained and or slightly torn from harsh impact to the body. The impact of strong force of a car accident(or any other accident) can create a snapping forward and back of the neck(see illustration) resulting in neck injury.
Some muscles in the neck are very delicate(hyoid muscles and scalene muscles) and thus can be injured quite easily in a car accident or other blunt force accidents. It takes skilled hands to move into the front of the neck(where these delicate muscles are) to help massage the muscles as a result of whiplash. The back of the neck muscles need massage too, they too should be treated during a massage for whiplash.
Of course massage is also great for other muscles in the body after any accident but this article is specifically for whiplash and why it's important to receive massage for it.
Once there is injury to the neck from the whiplash, the body will start to lay down scar tissue for healing what has been injured and that's a great process! However typically the scar tissue does not always lay down in the optimal direction of soft tissues in the neck and this can create structural problems from misalignment of other muscles as a result of the scar tissue.
Massage for whiplash specifically addresses the scar tissue and other problems in the neck that can result from a car accident. Below is why whiplash massage is very beneficial after a car accident or other accidents involving the neck.
Why Massage Is Important For Whiplash Injuries
- Decreases painful accident related spasms of neck muscles and other surrounding muscles like the shoulder, back and chest muscles
- Decreases scar tissue build up that can cause structural problems in the body down the line
- Helps lessen knots and trigger points of pain that can develop as a result of car accident trauma or other neck trauma
- Flushes out the stress hormones that also cause pain as a result of the inflammation process after an accident. In other words massage helps lessen the inflammation.
- Massage brings fresh blood and important healing nutrients to the neck to aid in the healing process
- Helps re-align tight bound up fascia(myofascial release massage) in the neck that can shrink and be injured from trauma to the neck and surrounding areas.
- Helps to calm the nervous system which can be in an acute state after a car accident or any accident.
- Whiplash massage also re-educates the neck muscles to release and relax due to trauma to the neck and the person.
- Decreases anxiety and increases peace and relaxation in the whole body which is important to the healing process
Many people in California are not aware of coverage they can get on their car insurance called Med-Pay. This coverage pays for your medical costs after a car accident regardless of if the fault was yours or another person's fault.
Med-Pay coverage from car accidents is better than personal health insurance because many personal health insurance policies do not offer massage as a benefit.
With Med-Pay all that is need is doctor referral stating the massage is necessary. Once that happens you can bring that to me as I am skilled in medical massage billing for accidents and injuries. You can be covered for your whiplash massage.
If you do not have Med Pay on your car insurance I highly recommend looking into it. For a few dollars a month you can be covered for health costs and massage for whiplash in case you are ever involved in a car accident. It was originally how I was introduced to massage years ago as result of a car accident. So blessed to receive massage after my car accident then as I know it helped my body tremendously.