Massage Therapy is an extraordinary healing tool for people who have had trauma in their lives. Either physical abuse or sexual abuse, massage therapy can help a person heal that trauma in their bodies.
This is what I work on with people who have had physical and/or sexual abuse. Together navigating and positively re-programming the internal mapping of person's body awareness and love.
The body is meant to be experienced as a beautiful and loving place to be within. However many people who have experienced trauma, do not relate to their bodies that way.
Our body's physiology is tied to receiving healthy touch. When we do not receive healthy touch or have our body abused, then it becomes more difficult to feel the power of the body, to connect to it within ourselves and with others.
Many people who have been physically or sexually abused related to their bodies as unsafe places to be. Experiencing physical trauma can cause a person to mentally disconnect from their body. They leave their body and live in world that is very mental. The body becomes an afterthought.
Pain does not feel good and experiencing chronic physical or sexual abuse can cause someone to mentally check out of their body.
That is the mental disconnection that happens. They mentally disassociate with being IN their body.
Signs that a person may have disconnected from their body due to trauma:
- Uncomfortable with touch or out right dislike of it
- Uncomfortable with healthy physical intimacy
- Lack of physical confidence
- Not understanding how their body works
- Zoning out when being touched
- A lack of energy flow within the whole body
How skilled massage therapy helps in a trauma healing journey:
- Reconnects a persons mental world with their physical body
- Learn that touch can be comforting and nurturing
- Helps introduce an alive, flowing feeling to the body
- Brings a person powerfully into experiencing their body as a safe beautiful place to be in
- Can help heal the mental wounding that can come with physical and sexual abuse.
Massage therapy is one powerful tool for trauma healing. Trauma healing many times requires more than one healing tools like therapy, meditation, yoga, prayer or other healing modalities.
However massage therapy is one of the most powerful tools because it directly it connects a person to another person and can retrain a persons neural pathways and subconscious for healing the body trauma and memories.
Skilled massage therapy can help reawaken a person to their own body.
It takes some internal effort and work but I have witnessed many people come alive in their bodies and embrace their body beauty and heal with massage therapy.
The body is amazing, truly amazing and we were meant to experience our bodies that way.
Peace and Blessings,